Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Coping With Chronic Illness - 2 Reasons Why Lying Keeps You Sick


I have discovered that it is possible to be a conscientiously honest person and still tell lies. 


I lied to myself about how my illness affected my everyday life.  I lied to myself about my limitations.  I lied to myself about what I would be able to accomplish in the future.  I lied to myself about how far I could push my body.  I lied to myself about what gave me value. 

And I lied to others.  I did my best to portray the version of myself that I wanted to be and to conceal as much as possible who I really was.  

The more I lied the worse I felt physically and the more frustrated I became at myself and the world.

Now, these lies weren’t intentional.  Stated in a nicer way you could say that I was delusional, or in denial.  Either way, I was not living in reality.  I was pretending.

The problem with the lie is that it took me places physically that I may never recover from.  You simply can’t push your body to exhaustion over and over and expect no consequences.  Not when you are dealing with illness.  Your body has requirements.  And your body will ultimately win.  I may never recover from that physically.

Another problem with the lie was that I promised what I could not perform.  As a result, people expected of me what I could not actually do.  And when I could not do it, they were frustrated and I was resentful.

So, I am working hard to stop pretending, to stop denying, and to accept reality.   And, I am mostly succeeding.

Since I stopped lying I have been able to do things that are better for my health.  I could finally see that I needed a wheelchair.  This helped me be able to do more, not less.   I started behaving reasonably with myself and showing more patience and compassion.  I stopped putting up a false front.  I stopped promising and being unable to follow through.  Now if a person expects of me what I cannot give, I feel less guilt and stress.  Their expectation is their own fault.  I have not lied to them.

I still have to work at it.  But something did surprise me.  I got more support when people saw my true situation.  And most did not like me any less.  It was a sense of relief, to them and me, because they understood me a little better.

However, telling the truth does not mean I have to spill everything about myself to anyone and everyone.  I don’t have to answer prying questions or assuage their curiosity.  And I don’t have to disclose my illness at all times and to all people.  I still have discretion.  I still have privacy.  I just work hard to be real with myself and others.  It’s harder than it sounds but, I think, very worthwhile.

What about you?  What has helped you to live in your reality?  And how has this benefited you? You might also enjoy: 
Wardrobe Considerations For Chronic Illness Part 1And Part 2 here.  These are my personal favorite posts.
 Friendship Is A Basic  Human Need - Parts 1, 2, and 3.
Coping with Chronic Illness - It's OK To Grieve Your Losses
Coping With Chronic Illness - Knowledge Is Power
Coping With Chronic Illness - Cultivate Other Interests
And the growing list on Energy Economy - for idea's on doing everyday things in a more energy efficient way.




photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/evilerin/3258516033/">Evil Erin</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>

3 comments:

  1. I am not by nature practical and I am big on escaping when things are bad. Pulling my head up and looking around can be one of the hardest things to do. Accepting reality is a constant battle but it is when I can make progress and make changes.
    It is even harder to see myself when my health changes enough to change my current level of activity. It is overwhelming to know whether to put dishes in the dishwasher or do a load of laundry or try to go to the grocery store... when it has to be just 1. Plus the many, many other duties that I wish I could keep up with. But being honest with myself and sizing up my situation has helped me to be logical and develop a mental outline of what I can do in a day and to have in mind how my day will probably go from when I get up. At least I am accomplishing some things. And I have learned to not beat myself up for all the "down-time" and to enjoy what I can when I am down as long as it doesn't keep me from sleeping.
    As far as being honest with others. Well, I don't think I really am. Only with a few. With most people I do everything I can to stay off the subject of my health. If they really want to know they will show it and then I will try little by little to explain. I have found most people just really don't want to know so I don't say. But I don't cover up as much as I used to physically. I sit when others stand or find a place to lay. My hair is always a quick-do. I don't cover as much with make-up. I put my feet up any chance I have. But I wish I could bring myself to be more open with more people. The few I have been honest with have been supportive in different ways and that means a lot.
    I think i am just really expressing the same sentiments as you did above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna! Thanks so much for your comments. I appreciate your thinking process.

      Delete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete