Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Energy Economy - Food Part 2




Because food can be such an issue when you are chronically ill it is good to simplify things as much as possible.  In Part 1 – we went over four basic suggestions that can simplify the process of nourishing ourselves.  These five more suggestions are slightly more advanced. 

  •  Cook sitting down.  I mean, gather all of your utensils, plates, ingredients, pans, cutting boards, etc… and do all the prep and cooking sit down.  I can’t stand for longer than about two minutes.  So this is the only way I am ever able to cook – even just an omelet.  I’m also less tired afterward.
  •  
  •  Create a simpler meal menu.  Seriously consider 10-20 minute meals, crockpot meals, five ingredient meals, make ahead meals.  Some people put a crock pot meal on first thing in the morning, go back to bed, and they and their family eat on it though out the day.  Search recipe books, google, and pinterest for good ideas.  Here is my pinterest page as a prompt. 
  •  
  • Chop all fruits and veggies for the week in one day.  You can also prep all meals for the week in one day.   This will of course depend on your level of health.  Look here for more ideas.
  •  
  • Use paper plates, bowls and silverware if possible.  I know this is not green.  But when you can’t keep up with your own or your family’s needs you have to make some hard choices.  If someone offers to help you, or if you feel better in future, you can go back to washing dishes.
  •  
  • Wear an apron.  Such a simple idea – but it can spare you time and energy later.

And that’s it, my top 9 practical suggestions for nourishing yourself in an energy efficient way.  I hope some of them have been helpful. 

Do you have any suggestions that don’t appear hear?  Can you share them with us?


3 comments:

  1. I like to soak lentils-- especially red lentils-- overnight and then cook them just an hour or so before I am ready to eat. There are days when I live on lentil soup-- which is lentils with veggie soup base-- and celery and onion. I love soups, and this takes very little energy to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input, Emily! That's a great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not cooking much but I have started to use your paper plate suggestion. That is helpful. I will look back at the food suggestions again when I am closer to being able to cook.

    ReplyDelete